Saturday, October 13, 2012

Stinkin' Thinkin'

"Stinkin Thinkin" is actually a term used in 12 step groups for rehabilitation. It refers to negative thinking patterns. It reflects the idea that what a person thinks has an impact on how they behave. This concept is supported in Proverbs 23:7, "So a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." What you think about today will appear in your tomorrow.

While I don't plan on checking myself into a 12 step program, I will admit I have temporary moments of  thinking that stinks. Most of us do and we don't even realize it. Here are a few examples:
*"I'm not applying for that job. I'm sure there is someone more qualified."
*"I’ve always been like this; I’ll never be able to change"
*"My boss said my project was great, but there were some mistakes. He must think I'm a failure."
*"I know I'm going to get sick, I get sick every January."
*"I never win anything."

Check your thought life this week. What are you thinking? What are you saying? If you find a few foul smelling thoughts,  the bible says in Corinthians 10:5 to cast down imaginations that exalt itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. There is power in the tongue to speak life or speak death (proverbs 18:21). Choose to speak life into your situation and into the lives of others. When you choose to speak life your once rotten and stinkin fruit will become sweet and nourishing to your soul. 





No comments:

Post a Comment